6th Grade Social Studies - World History
2019-2020 School Year
Full Year Course
Mrs. Melissa Leitner
Available for extra help after school Mondays, Wednesdays or by appointment.
Social Studies is the study of content from archaeology, anthropology, geography, history, to name a few. The sixth grade curriculum covers a historical study of ancient world history that focuses on the daily life, culture, art and architecture and lasting legacy of early civilizations. In particular, we will be studying: geography, early peoples, early civilizations and cultures of Africa and Asia and the Mediterranean empires.
Units of Study:
- Beginnings of Human Society: Paleolithic and Neolithic Ages (Stone Ages)
- Early River Valley Civilizations: Mesopotamia, Egypt, Indus River
- Classical Civilizations of the Mediterranean World (Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome)
- Classical Civilizations of the Asian World (Ancient China and Ancient India)
- 10% Homework
- 25% Class Participation (Group/Individual Work)
- 25% Formative Assessments (Quizzes, Short responses)
- 40% Summative Assessments (Tests, Projects, Essays)
Grades will be posted online by Monday for the previous week.
Remember: Grades reflect the effort that you put in!
- All work (i.e. projects) must be handed in on the day it is due at the beginning of the period. Late work will lose a letter grade for each day late. Work will not be accepted for a grade after one week late. Results in a zero.
- All homework must be ready to check on the day it is due at the beginning of the period.
- Absentee Policy:
- Manville BOE Attendance Policy: https://www.manvilleschools.org/cms/lib/NJ01912793/Centricity/domain/68/regulations/R5200.pdf
- In case of an absence, students are to be responsible for finding out what they missed. It is their responsibility to check for missed work and notes and turn in assignments collected when absent. Students will be given the number of days absent to make up any missed work and to hand in assignments.
- When in doubt, check Google Classroom, my website or email me!
Grading Policy (cont’d):
- Evaluation: Tests, Quizzes, Projects, Essays
- Extra Credit/Retake Policy: Tests and quizzes (scored under 70%) may be retaken by students on their own time within one week of the assignment distribution.
Acceptable Use Policy/Cell Phone Use Policy:
- Please refer to Board Policy 2363: Pupil use of Privately- Owned Technology.
- Privately owned technology such as cell phones, tablets and laptops may only be used as part of the lesson plan with administrator or teacher approval.
- Spiral Bound 1-Subject Notebook labeled with Name, Social Studies
- Pocket Folder labeled with Name, Social Studies
- Student Agenda
- Positive Attitude
Classroom Rules and Expectations:
- RESPECT yourself, your peers & your school.
- Create a positive and comfortable learning environment.
- Raise your hand and pay attention when another person is speaking.
- Be respectful and courteous to every member of the class by using appropriate language.
- Listen to directions and ask questions for clarification.
- Be prepared for each class by arriving on time, bringing required materials, handing in homework and beginning class by working on the “DO NOW”.
- Abide by all school rules as per the ABIS Student Handbook.
- 1st violation - verbal warning
- 2nd violation - Student/Teacher Conference (hallway or after school)
- 3rd violation - Email/Call Parent/Guardian & Teacher detention after school
- 4th violation - Referral to Mr. Magliacano
All school and classroom policies and procedures are fair and all students are expected to follow them accordingly. NOTE: Depending upon the infraction that occurred, some steps within the consequences may be skipped.
Please review this syllabus together with your child. Complete and return the attached student information form/syllabus acknowledgement by Friday, September 6th.
Student Information & Syllabus Acknowledgement
- Please fill out the following information to help me better contact you. Please include your email address so I may send you updates about our class throughout the year.
Student Name: _____________________________________
Parent/Guardian Name(s): _____________________________________
Relationship to Student: _____________________________________
Your phone number: ________________________________(home)
Alternate phone number: _____________________________(cell/work)
Your email address: _____________________________________
Would you like to be added as a guardian to our Google Classroom for weekly emails of class/assignment student summaries? ❐ Yes ❐ No
Preferred contact method: ❐ phone ❐ email ❐ either
- Please sign that you have read and understand the guidelines set forth in the attached syllabus.
We have read and understand the policies, procedures and expectations for Mrs. Leitner’s Social Studies class.
Student signature _____________________________________
Parent/Guardian signature _____________________________________
- Please use the space provided below to inform me of any information that you would like me to know about your child to help us work well together this school year.
Please return this form to Mrs. Leitner by Friday, September 6, 2019. Thank you!!!