All students, along with their parent/legal guardian, are required to read and sign a lab safety contract. Students must submit a signed contract to participate in lab activities.
- No loose clothing, open-toed shoes.
- Tie back hair
- Keep hands away from mouth
- Goggles always unless otherwise specified
- Clean work station. No pocketbooks/backpacks on lab tables.
- No eating, chewing gum, drinking.
- No flammable products
- No joking around
- Let me know about allergies
- When using chemicals, dispense only what you need.
- Never pour anything down the drain unless you get the OK
- Do not begin activities unless instructed first
- Stay in your work area
- Please ask for instruction if you are unsure.
- ALWAYS point containers away from yourself and away from classmates
- Do not consume anything you use or find in lab
- Never inhale chemicals directly. Always hold the container at a distance and fan vapors towards you.
- Never remove materials from the lab
- Clean up your work area when finished –
- Turn off flame/heat
- Wash/dry table and around sink
- Disconnect electrical devices and put away
- Dispose of materials as directed
- WASH hands thoroughly before removing your goggles
Mishaps – Inform the teacher ALWAYS
in the event of the following:
fire, spills, broken glass, bodily injuries, burns, electric shock.
- In most cases I will clean up spills and broken glass.
- Know the location of: fire extinguisher, first aid kit, shower, eye wash.
- Emergency shower and eye wash can be used without permission in case of emergency, ONLY AFTER you know how each works.
- If a chemical comes in contact with your eyes or skin, notify me, flush your eyes or the affected area with water. Pass to nurse if necessary.
- Never practice first aid procedures unless you are certified.