Degrees and Certifications:
Degrees: B.A. Social and Behavioral Sciences from Seton Hall University B.S. Elementary Education from Seton Hall University Teaching Certificates: -Teacher of Preschool through Grade 3 -Elementary School Teacher
Mrs. Heather Erickson - Distance Learning Directions
School Closure/Flexible Instruction Information
Friday, April 3, 2020
Good morning! I am available to answer any questions throughout the day. Please email me at email@example.com.
Language Arts - In addition to the packets, please practice the current Fundations words, phrases, and story each day. These packets also contain sight words from the first three marking periods. Please review these words with your child each day. Students are also asked to complete Smarty Ants for a minimum of 30 minutes each day. Also, students should complete two full books in Raz-Kids. This includes listening, reading, and answering the comprehension questions. Teachers will also be tracking activity/progress in Raz-Kids and Smarty Ants. Students can also visit www.storylineonline.net to listen to stories. Students also received a Reading Comprehension Packet. The top story is First Day of School. Please complete these activities at your own pace throughout the virtual learning experience. All four should be completed when students return to school.
Writing - Students are being given a writing journal and writing prompts. Please have your child complete a writing prompt each day. Stories should include six sentences- an opening sentence, a sentence that begins with first, next, then, and finally, and a closing sentence. Please use the attached Writing Checklist to edit your child’s work. Then they can illustrate the story and add at least 3 labels.
- Write about a time you went to the park. What did you do and how did you feel?
- Write a story about a time you had fun at school. What did you do and how did you feel?
- Write a story about a time you were surprised. What surprised you?
- Write about a trip your family took. What did you do and how did you feel?
- Write about a time you made a new friend.
- Write about a time you were bored. What did you do?
- Write about a time you went to a party. What did you do and how did you feel?
- Write about a time you got to stay up late.
- Write about a time your family went out to dinner.
- Write about a time you went to a carnival or festival. What did you do and how did you feel?
- Imagine that you are flying a kite. Write a story about what you did and how you feel.
- Write a story about your favorite fall day. What did you do and how did you feel?
- Write a story about your favorite holiday. What did you do and how did you feel? (4/3/20)
- Write a story about a trip to the zoo.
- Write a story about a rainy day. What did you do and how did you feel?
- Write a story about a lucky day. What did you do and how did you feel.
- Write a story about what you would do with a pet unicorn.
- Write a story about a day at the beach.
- Write a story about what you would do to catch a leprechaun.
- Write a story about being a teacher for a day. What would you do and how did you feel?
Math - Please complete the pages in addition to working to complete two Fact Practice activities in Freckle. Our class code is cqtf8g. After both Fact Practice activities are completed each day, please work in the Base Ten section of Freckle for a minimum of 20 minutes. Progress will be tracked by your child’s teacher each day.
Science/Social Studies - Scholastic News Grade 1: https://sn1.scholastic.com/home-page-logged-out.html
- Students should utilize this website to learn about Science and Social Studies topics. They can choose to read interactive articles, watch accompanying videos, and complete questions about the article. Below are teacher passwords for students to access the articles and resources:
My name is Mrs. Heather Erickson and I am a first grade teacher at Weston Elementary School. This is my fourteenth year teaching first grade at Weston School. I am excited to continue to help young learners blossom and grow each day.