Parent Safety Notice
January 11, 2019
Dear Parents and Guardians:
The safety of your student is paramount so it is essential that we work together to model the Roosevelt Road character pillar of good citizenship. Part of being a “Good Citizen” requires us to adhere to the rules and laws of the community to create a safer environment for all. We want to remind our parents of some of the expectations we have regarding our Drop Off and Pick Up that will help ensure a safe environment for all students.
- Please avoid using the Sacred Heart parking lot between N. 3rd and N. 4th Ave. as a shortcut to bypass the traffic back up when the crossing guard is crossing parents and children using the crosswalk.
- The parking lot should be used by parents/guardians who are parking their vehicles off the roadway and are walking their child to school. NJ has a law in place pertaining to using parking as a shortcut to avoid traffic signs and signals. Please see the following link for more information https://tinyurl.com/yaaw8frr .
- Park cars in three rows
- Single row of parking ONLY (Please no double parking)
- Reverse into the parking spot, if possible, to allow full sight of children walking.
- Avoid idling in the parking lot
- 5-mile speed limit in the parking lot
- Please Exit on North 3rd Ave ONLY
- Please avoid exiting from the Parking Lot onto North 4th during dismissal. This creates a safety hazard for students and parents walking on the sidewalk.
- Parents and students are expected to always cross at the crosswalks. Crossing in the middle of the road creates a safety hazard for your student and does not model what it means to be a good citizen. Under no circumstance should a student be “waived” or “called” over by a parent to cross in the middle of the road.
- During Drop Off, please pull up, drop off, and move on. The Borough of Manville changed the Parking regulations on North 4th Avenue and parking or idling will no longer be permitted on North 4th Avenue (School Side). Students can be dropped off anywhere on North 4th Avenue and they can walk into the building.
We understand that your time is important and, for many of us, we have obligations that may be time sensitive immediately after our Drop Off and Pick Up; however, the safety of our students and parents are our number one priority. We are working with the police department, community leaders, crossing guards, staff, parents, and students to come up with an additional solution to alleviate the traffic congestion, improve traffic flow when dropping off and picking up your children, and to create more safety awareness.
We are seeking parents to serve on the Roosevelt School Pick Up and Drop Off Committee. Our first meeting will be held on January 29th at 10 AM at Roosevelt School. If you are interested in serving on this committee, please email Dr. Maroun at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Jamil Maroun